Picture

Picture

Joshua

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

matthew

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Called to Serve....

In the Primary!! Eric and I were called to teach the 11 year-olds in primary a few weeks ago. It's proved to be quite a challenging class...there's 8 kids! It can be fun at times, but most of the time we spend just trying to get their attention. We've tried playing games, offering positive incentives...class parties, food, etc and nothing seems to have any effect. If anyone has any ideas, we'd LOVE to hear them...we're desperate!! :)

I just started teaching nursing assistant students at Lake Washington Technical College. It's really great because it's just Mon-Thurs from 10-12, so I'm not away from Joshua too long. Eric's mom and my sister help watch Joshua, which is so wonderful because we all know no one takes care of your baby like a Grandma and Auntie! So far, I really like the job. I've been thinking of getting into teaching but was having a hard time finding anything that didn't require too much time. Basically, the students have to learn skills in their scope of practice (bed baths, taking vital signs, etc) and my job is to teach them and test them so they can pass the state exam and be licensed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!! Joshua is so cute and big!! I love his smile, looks like such a happy baby

Jen Evans said...

My last calling was to teach the 11 year old girls. I absolutely adored them, but their attention span is shorter than a goldfish. Literally, most days we ended up talking about which middle school in the county is better. Try to pit the girls against the boys for games and things. They're really into gender dominance for some reason. Good luck!

TyBrit Boyce said...

Lisa, Tyler and I were primary teachers in CA and LOVED it! It was challenging at times though, I'm not going to lie!
That's great that you're teaching nursing on the side!
Beautiful baby! He is getting so big!

Linsey said...

I feel for you with the teaching. I teach the 12-14 yr olds in Sunday school. I've done it for two years now and I've realized that some weeks are definitely better than others. What I found that works is to find something that you don't think they'd know in your lesson and focus on that. When they aren't paying attention, it's because they are bored. At least that's what I was told and discovered with my kids. I have a class about the same size, so competitions work, but can sometimes backfire and make them more irreverent and loud. It just depends on the dynamic in your class. Good luck!