When we got there, they couldn't even hear any breath sounds when they listened because his airways were so inflamed and closed. I held him in my lap and held a mask to his face for 2 hours while he got continuous albuterol to open his airways. He fought the mask and screamed until he fell asleep. He improved a little bit but not nearly as much as he should have, so they admitted him. I hated giving him his breathing treatments because Joshua would kick and scream every time, and he had to get 16 puffs of inhalers every 2 hours for a while.
Then he had problems with oxygenating his blood, so they put him on oxygen which he hated and tried to rip off his face. It was so hard to see him so sick. For about 3 days he would just lay there, not moving, staring at nothing. It just goes against everything a toddler believes in, it's not natural! He wouldn't eat or drink enough so he had to get an IV (the red sock in the pictures is covering it so he wouldn't rip that out too).
That was horrible too, when they pinned him down and stuck the IV in him and he cried, "Mommy!" I admit I definitely had some tears over the last week myself.
By the 4th day he started showing interest in his toys and we could tell he was feeling a little better.
Heartbreak moment:
After being treated in the ER for 6 hours we were moved up to Joshua's room. I laid him in his metal crib and he stood up and put his arms around my neck... "Mommy...Dundee" (Translation: done, or no more)
The Iron Jail..it totally took me back to our NICU days.
Poor Sad Boy...and me hiding my stressed, sleep deprived face from the camera!
Luckily Doggy, Ducky and Blankie made an appearance and provided much comfort.
Just after the Doc's gave us clearance to go home, happy day!
Of course, within a few hours of getting home I got sick with a cold and have quarantined myself all week to try and prevent him getting my cold on top of all this.


3 comments:
Poor little man. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm glad he's feeling better now, though. What a cute boy!
Oh my! I'm so sorry that you had to experience the hospital again. Seriously, after the NICU I don't ever want to have to take my kids back. I really hope Joshua is feeling better. I hope you are doing better too, Lisa!
Good Golly! I'm so sorry to hear of your oredeal. So glad things are better now though. I hope you get to feeling better soon too. Until then, you did a good job in a hard situation it sounds like. Being a mom is rough, huh? Who knew ;)
Post a Comment